During the pandemic, the world has moved from offline to online teaching platform. Millions of children worldwide transitioned from face-to-face classrooms to different virtual education setups at home in March 2020.
During the first months of the pandemic, teachers had to find ways to set up an online classroom that would keep their pupils engaged. The pandemic affected the economy as a whole, which influenced the teachers’ careers and students’ learning abilities. This is where online classroom software came to the rescue. Throughout these months, educators at every level tested tools and programs until they found the most suitable ones. In this blog we’ll talk about some of the free platforms that complements your existing online classroom software.
Top Free Platforms to Complement Online Classroom Software
OLabs is built on the idea that one can do lab experiments using the internet efficiently and affordably. Students with no access to physical labs get access to labs here. Also in cases when equipment is not available owing to being scarce or costly, Olabs will help. The development of OLabs includes studying and using mathematical techniques to demonstrate the various complex functions in diverse areas of science.
Features of OLabs includes:
- Help in complex lab experiment simulation through technology in a very efficient manner
- Students can perform experiments virtually upon sign up
- Offers virtual lab technique procedures, quizzes, pre-lab exercises, etc.
- A self-evaluation option is also available
- Rich animations are available to teach students how to perform experiments
What users say about OLabs?
- Easy to learn approach
- Useful to have virtual experiences of real lab experiments, especially for science students
- Students can revise the experiments at any time
- It helps the teacher to explain the topic with an example or more practically
Khan Academy is a nonprofit online learning platform. It’s mission is to provide a free, world-class education for everyone, everywhere. It offers personalized learning and has trusted content. It offers tools to entrust teachers. With Khan Academy, students can learn at their speed, initially filling in the bridges in their understanding and then stimulating their learning. Teachers can recognize the gaps in their students’ knowledge, tailor instruction, and cater to every student’s needs.
Features of Khan Academy:
- Youtube hosted teaching videos accessible by the learners and instructors
- The website is a learning module system that tracks progress, exercises, and teaching techniques or tools
- Mobile friendly learning modules
- Videos are displayed of drawings on virtual blackboards just the way a teacher would do
- Learning contents are available in 28 plus languages such as English, Chinese, German, Spanish, etc
What users say about Khan Academy?
- Khan Academy entrusts the teachers to educate the entire classroom.
- You can build a solid, deep insight into subjects including mathematics, science, history, grammar, SAT®, and more.
- Flexible to different teaching or learning styles
Animoto is an online video editor that can make and share unlimited videos. Teachers can add their photos and video clips to lectures and make a video in a few minutes. Such tapes are excellent content for online classes. Learning videos also keeps the students engaged.
Features of Animoto includes:
- Unlimited video creation facility
- Users may download any number of videos
- Tools like 50 free music tracks, 30 color swatches, and three standard fonts
What users say about Animoto?
- Extensive music library
- Easy to use
- Provides time-saving templates
cK-12 provides free and customizable open educational resources adjusted to the standards of the state curriculum. cK-12 Foundation offers a library of free online textbooks, exercises, videos, and real-world online classroom software. cK-12 reinforces the student’s learning through adaptive practice and study guides. It helps the learners learn interactively with PLIX (Play, Learn, Interact, and explore concepts) and real-world simulations.
Features of cK-12:
- FlexBook website provides access to online classroom software learning resources in the virtual platform
- CK-12 Braingenie – a database of science and mathematics study materials
- CK-12 FlexMath – Algebra 1 curriculum, which is a year-long and interactive
- CK-12 INeedAPencil – Scholastic Aptitude Test website for anyone to use
What users say about cK-12
- Highly customizable
- Intuitive course creator
- Helpful support
WhiteboardFox helps you in participating in a virtual whiteboard in real-time using any present-day web browser. It is easy to share. Send an email to the students with a link to your virtual whiteboard. Students will be able to access from their devices and start learning. Users and teachers can both edit the online boards.
Features of WhiteboardFox
- Easy shareability by just emailing a link to the students to access and view
- Seamless synchronization facility providing the real-time experience of a whiteboard
- Highly compatible with mobile phones and tablet devices
- The personal feature allows drawing in 7 colors
- Whiteboard remains for viewing up to 14 days
What users say about WhiteboardFox
- It is easy to communicate with students and parents
- It assimilates with a lot of other educational tools and platforms
- It is user-friendly and creative
Online learning is the new future for the education sector. An institute’s online classroom software may be perfect for teaching and learning but these free tools give that extra edge to make teaching all the more accessible and fun. Do check them out and let us know if you think we have missed out on any such tool.